We’re in the middle of some serious momentum, and Downtown Birmingham has more potential. This is the most diverse district in the region—a place where everyone can find something that speaks to them. We have a quickly growing residential population, a vibrant local business community, beautiful historic buildings full of opportunity and exciting jobs near fun and conveniences.
primary jobs downtown
of primary jobs are knowledge jobs
residential growth since 2010
of city-wide jobs are downtown
- POPULATION—Downtown has almost 11,000 residents in 7,311 residential units; 5% of the city’s population.
- LAND AREA—Downtown is 3.2 square miles and occupies 2.2% of the city’s land area and is the region’s largest tax generator.
- JOBS—Downtown has 63,000 primary jobs; 37% of city jobs and 13% of the region’s jobs. Alabama’s only Fortune 500 company (Regions) and Alabama’s largest employer (UAB) are both headquartered in Downtown Birmingham. Tech unicorns Shipt and Landing are headquartered and growing downtown.
- OFFICE—Downtown has 18.3 million square feet of office inventory; 39% share of the city’s.
- HOTELS—Downtown has 2,897 hotel rooms; 38% of the city’s hotel rooms.
- LANDMARKS—Downtown has an authentic identity with over 900 historic structures, 10 museums and 8 parks.
The Value of Downtown
Dive into our 2021 report on Downtown Birmingham’s value and vitality to learn more about our vibrant community and to get the information you need to make data-driven decisions about your next moves!
Contact us to speak with a team member about this report and to learn more about how you can fit into downtown.
Downtown is primed and ready.
Downtown Birmingham is in the midst of a renaissance, and it’s the ideal time to realize your dreams here. Downtown is primed and ready for more investment from developers, companies and business owners!
Downtown Birmingham needs more development.
Let us help you understand incentives and navigate issues related to your downtown revitalization projects. From consultations on fitting into a particular district to help with historic tax credits, REV Birmingham can help make your project go more smoothly.
Downtown Birmingham needs more businesses.
Businesses drive vibrancy downtown, and Birmingham is ready for more. REV Birmingham helps business owners create strategies for growing their business, finding the right brick-and-mortar space, honing key messaging and communications, and solving problems. Let us know how we can help you!
Stay in touch.
Sign up for our newsletter to get the latest news on the businesses, developments, events and people of Downtown Birmingham!
Make your impact.
You can make a real difference in Downtown Birmingham. Get engaged: Get to know your community, become a part of the momentum, and help spread positivity from the heart of the city! #YayBham
Layers of goodI love Birmingham because not only is it a great place to go see all these really cool events and people, but it has so much diversity of culture and things to see in general that there’s something new every single day.Jacob Alan Bell
So much to doJenny Mellown
I love Birmingham because it has a small town feel in the middle of a city. There is so much to do from local breweries to sporting events. There is always something going on and it is easy to find something to do!
Always something newAmy Mezzell
The variety of restaurants, hangouts, stores, venues, and places to explore is incredible for a city this size. You get all of the variety of a larger city with the pleasant atmosphere of a small town.
Vacation feelsHillary Key
Birmingham has vacation feels even if you are a local. It is home and it is beautiful.